Hey baby... let me order for you.

Yesterday, I found myself randomly giving dating advice I was not prepared to give.  I opened my mouth and shit spewed out... that'll happen.  Aside from the fact that I made the guy in my life nervous as hell I was criticizing him on air, it was a great moment and a ton of fun.  To the guys who actually called/emailed/tweeted with questions...thank you, that was awesome.

So now, to defend myself...

When giving out dating advice I always revert back to chivalrous actions: open the door, stand when she gets up from the table, give genuine compliments and order her meal.  EVERYONE except my sister bashed my reasoning for ordering her meal.  Here is what we came up with:

How to figure out what she wants/suggestions:
- Ask her while viewing the menu what looks good to her.  If she tells you "I want the ____" you're in like flynn. Support her decision and don't forget it.
- If she can't decide, ask what looks good and offer your opinion. *This is a great way to break the ice on a first date.  Discuss likes/dislikes, allergies, previous experiences...etc.
- If you are in a long term relationship the first two points are irrelevant. You should know what she's going to head for first on the menu, and she EXPECTS your opinion on what looks good. 
- Did you chose the location?  Then you should have SOMETHING to suggest!  I don't care if you get on urbanspoon.com and read reviews, just be knowledgeable of something if you chose the location.

How to order like a smooth dude:
- Take command of the table when ordering. Don't be an asshole, just be confident.
-Keep your eyes peeled and look for the server, on his way over you can ask your date "Would you like me to order the ______ for you?"  (If she looks at you like you are crazy, then this is awesome.  You are the first guy to do this for her and she won't forget it!)
-If you don't feel comfortable ordering for her yet, make sure she gets to order first and you ask for her input on any appetizer suggestions.
- If you know that the shrimp is better with double sauce on the side then suggest it to her.  Women really do appreciate a guy who know what he's doing ::even in the kitchen::
- For long-term relationship-ers just surprise the hell out of her and order her favorite dish for her without asking. "The lady will take the chicken fingers with a side of honey mustard..."  You will surprise her, she will love it and if you don't screw up the rest of the dinner...you're getting laid.

If you don't act like a jackass and you genuinely take the time to listen to her, order for her and give her your undivided attention throughout dinner; you're getting a second date.  If you don't get one, you've got bigger issues to handle.

xo-
pash

Comments

Popular Posts