Call me, maybe. No really, do.

A couple months ago I started dating someone I had previously dated... in high school, in fact he was my first love.  It was fun, we got to know each other again, re-told old stories and immediately we felt comfortable with one another like we were 16 again.  Whether this or that, we realized we shouldn't be dating again and we broke it off.  No hard feelings on either end we just realized it wasn't going to work.

Tuesday my girlfriend and I met up for some ass kicking time at the gym and we were discussing why it didn't work and how much dating had changed in the past 10 years.  Not specifically with him, but more-so how technology has changed the basis of relationships.  In 2002 when I was a senior in high school I didn't text worth shit, instead I did this archaic thing called "write notes" oh and this other thing "talk on the phone." 

Seriously think about it... when was the last time you talked on the phone and had one of those "discovery" conversations with someone?  Probably not recently. (Mine was about 2 years ago with someone who lived out of state so we couldn't really date, yep you C.R.)  Our methods of communication have been tampered with by the efficiency of texting and emails and twitter and facebook.  The art of conversation has been totally lost on the dating world.  Having 30+ text messages a day with someone does not count as a conversation either, so don't even try to make that point!

Technology in general has just put a kink in the relationship chain of events.  When do you publicly refer to someone as your boyfriend/girlfriend?  When is it time to change your relationship status on facebook?  Is that how you now ask someone to be your partner?  Should you be friends/followers with the person you're dating on social media? With the advances in these huge platforms it takes all the mystery out of dating. For instance, you know what I did last night because someone tagged me somewhere and posted a picture so why even ask?  Social media in general has stolen the romance, depleted the communication and made mysteries completely non-existent.

Although I make all these extremely valid points and I'm right as always, I have found one thing social media does that helps those out the in the dating world.  VIRTUAL STALKING aka facestalking!  If you ask me out on a date, do not doubt I will research the hell out of you.  Facebook, Twitter, Google, Instagram, Pinterest if you're on there I'm gonna find you.  I'm gonna figure you out and I'm going to make points of things for us to talk about we have in common.  

Do I text? Yes.  Is it convenient? Most definitely. Am I a hypocrite? Without a doubt. All I know is that if you want to have a meaningful relationship with me or a girl like me...stop texting.  Pick up the phone and press the call button it's not that hard. I promise you will find out more about a person from the sound of their voice and they way they carry themselves in an actual conversation than you will virtual stalking and texting the hell out of them.  

Or better put, "I just met you, and this is crazy, but here's my number so call me" ... and I DON'T MEAN MAYBE.

laters baby,
pAsh


Comments

  1. Ash? This post...it hit home. I just recently (ok, so it was like a few days ago) went through a break-up and well, I couldn't really put my finger on why things weren't working. As always, your words helped me piece together why it is that I was feeling like things were falling apart. Dating is SO MUCH harder these days for all of the reasons you have listed. Thank you for clearing my head of the fog that settled in. I think maybe I will sleep better tonight. Hugs. -Ambre

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can write a million blogs for a billion people to see but to know that one person felt even the least bit enlighted by my words is the most satisfying feeling ever. Dating is harder than what people pretend. As long as you are out there trying you are on the path to find success and happiness. Kisses and hugs my dear!

      Delete
  2. I love reading your blogs... you forgot one thing, its called "facesitting", or baby sitting on facebook.

    Yours Truly,
    AIP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Facesitting...interesting. I'll use it! Keep it inappropriate as always AP.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good blog. My wife suddenly bailed after 12 years a few back and I couldn't be more lost. I've pretty much just given up. 39 and a hopeless dating dinosaur.

    Go UK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't give up! Get yourself in check, don't be down about your situation. Take hopeless out of your vocabulary, make sure you are 100% happy with being YOU and then once you are, women will flock to you.

      Down with BBN! ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts