Cleaning Out my Lent Trap

Well it's that time of year again, time for all good Catholics to clean out their dirty closets and give up a vice for Lent.  Now to clear a few things up, I was raised Catholic by mother and my father is non-denominational Christian; basically I pick and choose which sect to follow.  However, since I was a child and for the rest of my life, I observe Lent with the rest of my family out of respect.  I may not attend Mass every week, but I am a firm believer in Him and do my best to pay my dues.

 Last year my then 5 year old cousin gave up cereal...I'm sorry but if you are in kindergarten, Captain Crunch rules your life, that girl rocks.  Furthermore, her older sister gave up television (with the exception of being able to watch movies.)  As two children in elementary school, they are an inspiration to me, not only in their religious faith, but in life in general. 

And me???? I gave up something personal and failed something like 3 weeks in.  The definition of Disappointment.

This year, I cannot decide what to give up, and what ever it is...I'm sticking with it.  I originally was going to give up smoking but since I've since *quit* I'm searching for a new vice to get rid of.  I would like to give up something that can effectively change my life, permanently.  So far this is the list of options:

- Beer and Alcohol (wine is kosher with God, and I'm not about to give up a sacrament :))
- Sweets
- Same as last year...successfully
- Facebook (someone I know did this last year, but I can't remember who)
- Carbs
- Men/boys/guys/douschebags
- Shopping (aside from groceries)
- ????

I have 6 days to figure this out, any ideas or support would be greatly appreciated.  

Comments

  1. When I was growing up we had a priest, who maybe was a little liberal, say that you don't have to give something up. Lent can be about adding something too. Like going out of your way to be nice to people who aren't nice, doing some charity work, or volunteering. I'm not really good at giving things up...I'm not a quitter, but it's a lot easier to think of, and stick with, things you can do to make yourself the person God wants you to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great idea, Ange! I love it. I've decided I'm giving up the same thing I gave up last year and now you've made me realize I'm going to add being a better person.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts