She's my sister

Nov 12
I am exhausted. Physically, mentally, emotionally, wholly exhausted. I spent the weekend on a trip with my family that wrecked me emotionally.  So here I sit above the clouds flying to Orlando and replaying the awesomeness of my weekend. I'm going to leave out the drunk parts, the part where we got called twins and I'll only touch briefly on the best football game I've ever seen (Johnny M.F. Football rolled right over the Crimson Tide! Gig'em!)

Visiting my sister is always enjoyable, that first moment we see each other we start out with insults and being asses. No one gets this, it's just our thing. This trip started out the same, she was an ass the second she appeared in the hotel doorway and by the time the two of us were alone in the car we were holding hands. Once we got to lunch tears began to flow at the first mention of our nephew, a precious little man she has only seen a handful of times.  I cannot imagine how hard it is on her to be so far away from everyone in our family. As a unit our family is strong, loving, close and reliable. As a pair, my sister and I can take on the world or a bar...same thing. 

To explain our relationship as simply as possible, when you grow up in a divorced home with a parent who is not 100% checked in, you learn to cope and manage. Especially so if you are a child with a younger sibling to protect.   We have always been each other's support system. Even as children when we yelled, punched, tattled and ripped heads off barbies, we always had each other.  Up until I moved out at 17, I would wake up many mornings with my sister in my bed or asleep on the floor next to me. So this weekend when she said "I just want to nap with you" I knew this visit was more than just a weekend of fun, she needed me.  And to be honest, I think I needed her more. To simply take a nap with my sister, let her straighten my hair, share a meal and even do a victory chest bump (WHOOP! Aggies!)  meant more to me than many can comprehend. 

I want her to be happy. I want her to be successful. I want her to live where she wishes and plant her roots wherever she calls home. She asks me often if I would ever move to Texas to be with her and I always say no quickly, but truth be told, I'd move to hell just to hug her.  I feel this way about both of my sisters, we have a bond that can't be shook. No matter how big of assholes we are to each other, we are sisters. 

Friday, I met Sarah's roommate and what she said struck me so deep in my heart. As I walked in the room she exclaimed "Oh my gosh, you're Sarah's sister! She talks about you all the time, she really really loves you a lot.  It's sweet." At that moment I got something in my eye causing me to instantly tear up, but my sister's voice boomed from the other room "No I don't. Don't tell her that shit." Thank goodness I laughed and forgot about whatever was in my eye, entirely.  Asshat. 

Yesterday while resting and trolling Facebook, I read a post from a family friend quoting his young daughter, "No, she's not my best friend, she's better than that, she's my sister." That ladies and gents sums up my life. She's not my best friend, she's better than that, she's my sister. She's emotionally exhausting, loud, slightly insane, gorgeous, fun, intelligent... What else could you expect? She's my sister. 

I know I write about her often, but I write about what I love, what makes me tick and what is on my mind. She's my sister. She's all of the above.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts