Between my worries and dreams



I am writing this sitting on the back of a cruise ship. It's absolutely gorgeous out. I'm sailing somewhere between Cozumel and New Orleans without the stresses of work, technology, relationships and drama. The most crucial decision I've made today was buying a stuffed turtle or dolphin for my nephew who's first birthday I am missing today. 

Isn't this what life is all about? The time we find between our worries and dreams...the times we really live. Two days ago I was climbing Mayan ruins fighting off droves of mosquitoes. Jokingly I told my sister let's go pray to the ruins, "If the Mayans were right about this 2012 business lets at least get on their good side while we can."  If they were right and we are all only months away from the end I believe I've spent my 28 years pretty soundly.  I'm not wealthy, I am single, I don't have children and I've yet to see the sunset from the Eiffel tower... Basically every goal I had for myself 10 years ago hasn't been met. But I realize maybe I'm better off than what I planned. 

I've been tested financially, broken to my core spiritually, suffered from numerous broken hearts and you know what? I am absolutely great. I have more life experience from my failures than a lifetime of success could possibly bring me.

So here I sit in the adults only lounge thanking the Mayans I don't have kids to worry about, a husband to be concerned for or anyone but myself to look after. I just have me and I have fun, seriously what more could I want...aside from another drink?  These are the times I just live... smelling the salty air, feeling the sun beat down on me, laughing with my sister and mom and smiling because I know this life is all mine. At this moment I'm just somewhere between my worries and my dreams.

Comments

Popular Posts