A Family Trip Down Memory Lane

Today I found myself going through my parent's attic and stumbled across a box clearly from the 80's with my name on it.  I've seen this box my entire life on different occasions and never actually gone through it. Little did I realize opening the box would open Pandora's box of tears and wretch my heart.

My father's parents have been gone for 15 years and I find myself missing them now more than ever.  Inside this box was every card I ever gave to my "Grams" and "Grumpy," cards with just scribbles on the inside, cards proclaiming they were the best ever, cards thanking them for a pink Barbie car, cake, picnic table and dinner (this one was obviously written by my mother with my stellar John Hancock across the entire bottom.)  A paper bag full of home-made flashcards cracked me up, at age 4 he was teaching Whitney and I words when we came to visit. There was even a letter my mom wrote to my Grams containing a lock of platinum blonde curls from age 2.  Sifting through this box I began to cry not just a small tear, but huge sobs like that of young child.  I have not cried over losing my grandparents in years, but today seemed like a good day for it.

My grandparents loved us so much, if it was my birthday, both my sisters and cousins also got gifts, just because my Grams wanted all of us to feel special every day.  I have fond memories of running in the kitchen door of their Edinburgh home and pulling a bag of M&Ms off the bulletin board behind the door.  Grumpy kept fully stocked on M&Ms for his grandkids as well as mini glass bottles of Coke and Sprite and a handful of change for us to run to get shaved ice whenever we wanted it. One time we built forts on the front porch out of HUGE boxes and Grumpy helped us draw windows with flower boxes on the outside, then proceeded to try and sit inside with us. I remember going to the Columbus Commons with my cousin Whitney and we would fight over who got to sit on "the hump," yep, the hump as we called it was the center seat/armrest on the front seat of his beat up (woody) station wagon.  I have no idea why our parents let us ride with him as he was blind as a bat, but I always looked forward to trips with Grumpy as they often finished with a stop at Dairy Queen.

When my youngest cousin was born, my grandparents had already both passed away.  I specifically remember just after his birth, Whitney and I staring at him sleeping and us both discussing how we were sad he would never know our Grams and Grump, because they were the best grandparents a kid could ask for.  I know they had their faults in others eyes, but we never saw them, to us they were perfect.


I now realize that although they have been gone for longer than I knew them, I see them both in the most important man in the world, my Dad.  He and my uncle both possess the best qualities that my grandparents did, and for that I am truly blessed.  I know when my sisters or I have children that they will be the luckiest kids in the world, because my dad...he'll have M&Ms, Coca-Cola Classic and home-made flashcards on hand at all times.  I'm also quite sure they will call him Grumpy and love him just like I loved my Grams and Grumpy, with all my heart.

Comments

  1. Awww my eyes teared up! I'm so jealous of people who have a close relationship with their grandparents because I was never fortunate enough to. Your grandparents sound like everything I always imagined them to be, you are a very lucky girl even if all you have are your memories now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts